Wednesday, April 29, 2009

guacamole, my way


let me just say i love the avocado any way you slice it. i bought two the other day at my local mega mart, half way expecting them to be flavorless. i then scoured the internet for a great guac recipe, but not finding one that really excited me, i decided to combine them all and do my own thing. i think it turned out pretty dang good myself. i started by throwing a small clove of garlic and about a 1/4 of a small onion into the food processor. i did this to get a fine mince, because as mentioned in a previous post, i have no knife skills. meanwhile, i mashed my two avocados with the juice of a lime using my potato masher. i tossed in the garlic and onion combo along with some kosher salt and about ten grape tomatoes cut in half. i gently stirred to mix, tasted and adjusted the salt to my liking. i placed it in the fridge for an hour or so to let the flavors mellow and meld.

now, i have seen other recipes that called for both cumin and cilantro. i didn't have any cumin, so i don't know how it would taste. i had cilantro, but it is already in my homemade salsa, so i didn't want the overkill. i also have seen recipes listing the juice of a lemon rather than a lime. i am sure one or the other would work, mostly because it helps keep the avocado from turning brown, but i tend to think the lime gives the guacamole a brighter or fresher taste. i hope if you are a avocado addict like moi, you will give this recipe a go or come up with one of your own. i don't think you can really mess up guacamole, except maybe the recipe i saw that called for cottage cheese. ick.

p.s.-just to be on the safe side, i did bury the avocado pit in the middle. it, too, is suppose to help keep your guacamole green. okay, i am off to fry corn tortillas to make taco shells. adios amigos!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Looks great - I could eat guacamole everyday.