Friday, September 11, 2009

funeral potatoes, huh?

what a cheerful name, huh? this is nothing more than a cheesy, creamy, calorie laden potato casserole. i guess it gets its name from being a common sight among the food at funeral gatherings. it is a new one on me. we are a fried chicken and potato salad clan. i guess too if you eat enough of this and eat it often, you could quite possibly make an early appearance at your own funeral. i am sure you can make the casserole lighter by using reduced fat products, but i didn't, so i am guessing my bowl shorten my visit here by at least a day. this was disgustingly good and a big hit in my house. leftovers tonight! enjoy.

funeral potatoes

preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and pam a 9x13 baking dish

in a big bowl mix the following:

1 32oz bag of frozen cubed hash browns
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar-i used medium
8 oz sour cream
2 green onions, sliced thin, white and green parts
dash of pepper
mix together and put into your baking dish

now melt two tbsp of butter and mix with 1.5 cups crumbled potato chips or corn flakes. bake 45 minutes until brown and bubbly. let it sit about ten minutes for digging in. you could also throw some cubed ham in for a complete meal. teehee, a complete meal, huh?

6 comments:

TeaLady said...

AAAHHH!!!! Those funeral potatoes. Looks very yummy!! Do I have to wait for a funeral to make these?? LOL

Pam said...

Oh Bethie - they sound so rich, creamy and delicious. I could use a big bowl right now!

Jennifer said...

My god I love that, my sister in law makes something similar!

Dianna said...

I love these things! I have a lower-far version posted here:

http://be-it-ever-so-humble.blogspot.com/2009/02/funeral-potatoes-with-less-fat.html

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Weird name but they sounds delicious ;) Maybe I will make them this Halloween! :)
Lovely blog, thank you for visiting mine.

Patty said...

We are a fried chicken and potato salad kinda family too, so I have never heard of funeral potatoes. They do look good though, so I am stealing the recipe.