Friday, November 6, 2009

easy and tasty broccoli cheese soup

i won't keep ya, but a second. i have sick and cranky four year old to deal with myself. i just wanted to share this tasty broccoli cheese soup that we had for dinner last night. this was a big hit in my house, with the exception of the sick and cranky four year old who is currently living off ginger ale. make some for your bunch tonight. enjoy.

beth's broccoli cheese soup

1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts
1 stick of butter
1 medium onion diced
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk( i use fat free half and half sometimes)
1 cup grated cheese, your choice, i like sharp
2 cans of chicken broth(about 4 cups, if using homemade)
small block of velveeta, cubed for easier melting
salt and pepper

cook your broccoli cuts, i zap them in the microwave till done, then either mash them up a bit with a fork or pulse a few times in your food processor. sit aside. melt the sick of butter in a large pot over medium heat and add the onions. cook until tender, 4 minutes or so, then stir in the flour, it will be like a thick paste, cook a few minutes more to cook out the raw flour taste. now slowly add the milk stirring constantly(i like a whisk for this) till mostly incorporated. throw in the cheese, keep stirring till smooth. okay, slowly blend in the chicken broth into your sauce. add your velveeta cubes and continue to stir. it might take awhile, so you can walk away and come back. just don't have you heat too high as to possible scorch the bottom. once your velveeta is mostly melted, add the broccoli. stir well, turn to low and let it simmer about 15 minutes. salt and pepper to taste.

we ate it with saltines(it is a sick house staple) last night, but i usually do those yummy little garlic cheddar drop biscuits.

oh btw, i used a white sharp vermont cheddar last night, so my soup turned out a little less orange than usual. guess what's for lunch? plus ginger ale.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That sounds really yummy right now, I have been sick and cranky as well!

Pam said...

I think using sharp is a great idea - extra flavor! I love, love, love broccoli and cheese soup.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh I love the sound of this combination (being a broccoli lover from way back!)

Memória said...

(I thought I had left a comment here before...) Anyway, this is exactly the soup I was looking for. Thank you for posting this.

Amanda said...

This looks great!!

Blessings-
Amanda

Jennifer said...

I made this soup from your recipe last week and it turned out AMAZING! The only thing I did differently was use a half a stick of butter (it was all I had!), but it still turned out great. My husband loved it, too. We will definitely be making it again. Thank you!