Thursday, August 5, 2010

homemade laundry soap-duggar style


my friend kelly turned me onto this recipe for homemade laundry detergent. it is a duggar family specialty along with their tater tot casserole. the duggars you ask, you know that arkansas family that can't seem to stop breeding. you know they must have a buttload of laundry. i am all about saving a buck, so i thought i would give it a try. kelly is a family of three and one batch lasted her a year! i wash a lot of clothes, so i am unclear how long my batch will last. it did cost about nine dollars to purchase the ingredients, not including the free five gallon bucket from the bakery, which by the way still had about a cup of buttercream frosting still in it. omg, do you know how cruel that was to me? which the exception of the bar of fels-naptha soap, i have plenty of leftovers to make several batches. i did however, see a recipe for a dishwasher soap using the borax and soda. hmmmmmm......


nope, not grated cheese, but grated soap!

the next morning when i popped the top it looked like this, slippery jello. you will dilute this one to one with water to get this...

kinda looks like lemonade, but i wouldn't recommend drinking it. i have done three loads today with my new detergent, including jamie's gnarly jeans. i like it. i am, however, do plan to buy some essential oils such as lavender to scent it. right now, it smells clean, but borning. have fun.







2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Neat idea, I only do 4 loads a week tho!

Angela said...

I have been making this soap for about a year now and love it. I do add essential oils to enhance the smell. I like orange or bergamont, it smells so fresh. The ingredients last for-ever. We are a family of 6 so I do ALOT of laundry!